At Relax The Back, we believe in a ’24-hour approach to a good night’s sleep’. What does that mean exactly? From the minute you wake up to the minute you get ready for bed, the actions you take during the day affect the quality of your sleep.
In addition to the tips we have already provided, here are 8 more daily routine tips to help you get a better night’s sleep:
- Engage in regular exercise – exercise is helpful when completed at least 2 hours prior to sleep.
- Finish eating at least 2-3 hours before your regular bedtime.
- Create a bedtime routine that is relaxing. Experts recommend reading a book, listening to soothing music or soaking in a hot bath.
- Don’t skimp then splurge – skipping midday meals can throw off your body’s normal sleep pattern.
- Avoid Nicotine (e.g. cigarettes, tobacco products)- smokers experience withdrawal symptoms from nicotine when they go to sleep. Nicotine can cause difficulty falling asleep, problems waking in the morning, and may also cause nightmares.
- Try to restrict fluids close to bedtime to prevent nighttime awakenings to go to the bathroom.
- If you can’t go to sleep for over 30 minutes, get out of bed and do something monotonous in dim light until you are sleepy.
- Don’t be a party victim – avoid fatty and spicy foods, which spark indigestion and reflux.