Last week, we talked about our top daily routine tips to help you get a better night’s rest. As is your daily routine, your sleep environment is also an important element in the quality of your sleep. Creating an environment that promotes relaxation and comfort is key when it comes to getting the best night’s rest you can and being more productive, alert, and emotionally balanced all day long.
Here are 8 tips to help you maximize the comfort of your sleep environment:
- Keep your room cool. If you tend too get warm at night avoid wearing heavy sleepwear.
- Use neutral colors in your bedroom- such as taupe, gray, beige, white and even light pastels
- If your partner has disruptive sleep patterns or snores, come up with an arrangement that allows you both to get the sleep you need. Consider switching to a pillow that helps prevent snoring such as the TEMPUR- Side Pillow.
- If you wake up during the night to use the restroom, and it’s safe to do so, try keeping lights to a minimum so it will be easier to go back to sleep.
- Keep work material out of the bedroom – physical and psychologically stressful activities can cause the body to excrete the stress hormone cortisol, which is associated with increasing alertness.
- If possible, pets should have their own bed – their movement can disrupt your sleep.
- Pillows should be replaced yearly.
- Mattress size matters – bed partners are recommended to buy a mattress no smaller than a queen mattress.
Take a look at previous tips we’ve provided here and be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more sleep tips and facts. Or visit your local Relax The Back store to speak with one of our trained specialists.