Experiencing back pain during pregnancy is not uncommon for most women; between 50% and 80% experience some form of pain. Hormonal changes affect the joints and relax the ligaments in your pelvis, your center of gravity changes, and weight gains associated with a growing baby adds stress to your spine and lower back.
From proper posture to staying as active as possible to heat therapy, consider the following ways to help relieve your back pain:
- Stay as active as possible with regular stretching and exercise routines
- Practice proper posture at all times when standing and sitting
- When sleeping, use a pillow, like the Dreamweaver By Snoozerpedic Body Pillow, to put support where you need it most
- Wear comfortable shoes – avoid high heels
- Use a lumbar support cushion while seated
- Only with your doctor’s consent, take Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Heat therapy to ease muscle tension, spasms, and pain
- Cold therapy to reduce inflammation
It is important to note that before you begin any type of back pain treatment or exercise, you should speak with your doctor. Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more pain relief solutions. Or visit your local Relax The Back store to speak with one of our trained specialists.