We all need a vacation and those suffering from back pain may very well need it the most. Yet it’s all too easy to decide to stay at home when flare-ups and inconveniences keep you from having a good time. With a little planning, getting out of the home for a worthwhile break may be easier than you think. Here are some tips before you travel to help make your vacation as painless as possible.
- Consult your doctor and get the okay to travel with your back condition.
- Get the proper travel insurance to cover your needs, especially when going to a foreign country. Most provide great medical coverage and will provide peace of mind.
- If flying by air, call the airline in advance and inform them of any special needs. They may be able to make certain accommodations such as providing wheelchair assistance and early boarding, having airline crew assist with luggage, arranging for special shuttles, etc. Also, try to book an exit window or aisle seat. This will give you more legroom to stretch and will make it easy to get in and out for walking breaks.
- Research your destination to avoid any unwelcome surprises. For example, how much walking vs. driving will you have to do? Where is the nearest medical facility in case of emergency?
- If staying at a hotel, call the hotel in advance to find out what type of mattresses are available to help make getting a good night’s rest much easier.
While the guidelines above will help you plan, our products will make getting to and around your destination more comfortable. Here are some products we recommend:
- The Bucky Utopia Travel Pillow is our most affordable and compact travel pillow. It even comes with its own bag so you won’t lose it during your travels.
- The LumbarCushion by Tempur-Pedic will provide much-needed support to your lower and mid back wherever you are seated. It’s also small enough to fit into your carry-on.
- If you like to travel with your iPad, our foldable Cricket Notebook Stand will help ease your eyes and neck for comfortable viewing.
For more information, our previous posts on travel include more tips and product recommendations to help make your trip this vacation season more enjoyable.